Sunday, December 17, 2006

Bubble Boy

I only played one game on Saturday night this week, busy pissing around with other nonsense. After my recent successes in live and online Multi Table Tournaments I feel my MTT play has improved quite a bit and I want to play a couple of $10-$20 MTTs each week to refine my strategies and hopefully boost my Bankroll.

I got myself mentally and physically prepared, kids in bed, cup of coffee at the ready etc.. and went off hunting to see if I could find any tourney's that I liked the look of. I quickly found something rather interesting on William Hill. Two £10 MTTs, both with £1,500 Guarenteed prize funds, starting at exactly the same time. It must have been a cock up by whoever scheduled the tournaments but I wasn't complaining as it looked like both would have a significant overhang. I signed up for one and it duly started with 91 players and a 50% prize fund overhang....great stuff, this tourney would usually run with around 150 player to cover the prize pool.

I played my usual tourney strategy and concentrated hard on all the other players to get a handle on their playing styles and betting patterns. Everything was going to plan, by the first break about half the players were gone and after the break they started falling even quicker as the blinds started to get pretty big. Sitting in 8th position with 14 players left (10 players would get paid) with about 7,500 chips (2 leaders had about 20,000) I was feeling pretty good, the leaders had big stacks but their play didn't leave me in awe. The blinds were big and I knew it wouldn't take too much to be up there challenging. I was on the BB and everybody folded around to the button who was on about 5,500 chips he made a standard late position raise making it 1,800, the small blind folded. So there I am with him out chipped, looking down at A-10s, and positive he is just trying to steal my blind. So what does a guy do???? SHOVE.... 7,500 chips in the middle, cmon buddy let's see you push me around. Well he goes and calls me with J-Qo and the rest is history, my chipstack is depleted and I'm out a few hands later. Doh!!!

I don't like bad beat stories, and to be honest this wasn't a bad beat. I was 63% to his 37% so I would make the same call again. But it does kinda bug you when it happens. Doh! 2 hours down the drain.

Why have I decided to scribble all this down. At the time I was a bit frustrated but that quickly passed. The main reason for blogging this is that I nearly made the money in a 100ish player MTT again. If I had made the money that would have been the 3rd this month. Things are definately moving the right way. Just keep studying boy... you're getting closer.

No comments: